Who I am

My name is Jacoba Luttmer. When I was eleven years old at the outbreak of World War Two. Later, Germans would come to occupy by home town of Groningen, Holland. It was a horrible thing. Hitler and the Jews. The poor people really suffered. Most people have no idea the horrible things that had gone on during the war. But I remember.



Tuesday, April 26, 2016

When Hilter Comes to Town


I remember when Hitler came to town. Those were big days in out in the square. The tension amongst the soldiers was as palpable as I was hungry; today they had to be perfect. We knew when he was coming, the Germans were would up tight and alarmingly short tempered. It was best to stay especially far away on those days.

The day of Hitler’s arrival was exciting to me. I loved to follow the soldiers as they'd sing and march in the parades. It was beautiful. When they went past Hitler himself there was not one place out of line. I watched in awe as they all saluted and shouted in perfect harmony. Each uniform was perfectly pressed, each hair well placed, and each eye gazing straight ahead. There is a sort of beauty in perfect uniformity. After the initial welcome and parades, Hitler offered a free meal to everyone who wanted to be on his side. My girlfriend Tini and her family belonged to Hitler's party. She would always tell me to come on and get some food. They always had fruit, meat, milk--luxuries I had not seen in months. When a child is hungry, you do anything, you don't care. My Dad always said, "Don't you dare." But I went anyway. I was hungry. That is all I wish to speak about that.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment